Festive recipe for the veg in your life.
Over the festive period at the Ludlow household embrace winter vegetables. Our favorites are parsnips, red cabbage, carrots and Brussel sprouts. We may have a national shortage of sprouts this year but if you can get your hands on a few for the big day here is a recipe that will add a great flavour to the sprout and carrot combination.
12 Brussel sprouts – outer layers removed, washed and drained
2 large carrots – peel and slice the carrots into rounds 5mm thick
1/4 tsp Coriander seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1-2 stalks fresh thyme stalk and leaves
malden salt ( to taste)
1-2 tbspn Oil Rapeseed or olive oil
A knob of butter (unsalted) – optional
Pre heat the oven to 200C
- Place the sprouts into a microwavable dish, add 1 tbspn water, cover and cook for 2 min 30 seconds on 1000W .
- discard the water and place the sprouts into an oven proof dish.
- Place the carrots into a microwavable dish, add 1 tbspn water, cover and cook for 2 min 30 seconds on 1000W .
- Repeat step two above.
- Place the coriander seed and cumin seeds into a frying pan and heat the seeds until they are lightly toasted. Golden toast brown. remove from the frying pan and place into a pestle and mortar and crush. A course texture is good.
- Sprinkle the spices over the carrots and sprouts.
- Now drizzle the oil and add the butter onto the veg and finally add the salt.
- Place into the oven and cook for 20 – 25 minutes string half way. the vegetables should be lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve.