Spices are fabulous not only in savoury products but also a sweet treat.
Last year I had a brilliant trip to South Africa and enjoyed a trip to Bo Kaap where I enjoyed a South African sweet treat called Koeksisters. It was a bread like texture coated in sugar. A little like a spiced doughnut. I loved it ALOT.
After retuning back to the UK I was keen to try and make these wonderful treats. Here is my interpretation of the recipe. My husband Richard loved them.
Allow plenty of time for the sugar syrup to cool – allow for 6 hrs before you make the Koeksisters ( cake sisters) or south African doughnut – 2-4 hrs .
750g castor sugar
500ml tap water
20g fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into thick slices
1/2 lemon – zest into long strips
1.5 tsp lemon juice or to taste
1-2tsp ground cinnamon
500g plain flour sifted
1 tbsp baking powder sifted
1/ 4 tsp salt
60g unsalted butter – cold cut into cubes
250-300ml whole milk
500ml – 750ml vegetable oil for frying
- Combine sugar, water, ginger, lemon zest, and lemon juice together in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes. Cool syrup to room temperature, transfer to a container, and refrigerate until flavors blend, 8 hours to overnight.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until mixture has a cornmeal texture. Add the milk; mix until a smooth dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 5×14-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into twenty eight 1/2-inch wide strips. Twist pairs of strips together and pinch the ends together. Repeat for all of the strips. Cover strips with a clean cloth and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat about 2-inches of oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Pour some of the cold syrup into a bowl and return remaining syrup to the refrigerator.
- Working in batches, fry koeksister twists in hot oil until twists swell and are golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove koeksisters from hot oil with a slotted spoon and immediately immerse in cold syrup for 10 seconds. Transfer soaked koeksisters to prepared wire rack to cool. Replenish cold syrup as necessary.