Bini’s Gujarati Bombay Potato Recipe
Bombay potatoes is simple recipe which doesn’t take too long to prepare and cook. It is vegan and gluten free.
I used baby new potatoes so you need to scrub them well and cut into half or quarters. Make sure they are the same size so they don’t cook down into mash. You can prepare in advance and reheat when you are ready to serve. I would add the garnishes at the end of the recipe when I am ready to serve.
It is a ideal side dish.
250g Baby New potatoes – washed and cut into half
2 tbspn oil rapeseed
1 dried red chillie
1 onion (medium – large) – finely chopped
1 fresh chillie = washed and cut into rounds
10-15g ginger peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
2 tspn lemon juice or to taste
1/2 tsp sugar ( to taste)
Spices on the plate
6 curry leaf
20g fresh coriander chopped
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
1/3 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/3 tsp black mustard seeds
1/3 tsp nigella seeds ( onion seed)
1/3 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in the non stick space pan and add the dried chillie and allow to go black. Next add the mustard seeds, allow to pop ( work quickly), add the cumin seeds sizzle for 3-5 seconds to allow them to turn lightly golden brown ( don’t let it go black), nigella seeds, curry leaf and asafoetida powder. Stir quickly and add the onions.
- Continue to stir well and cook until they are soft, on a low setting. It will take 3-5 minutes.
- Next add in the ginger, garlic and green chilli and stir well and allow the garlic to turn golden in colour. A gorgeous aroma will be released.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining spices, turmeric, salt, half the lemon and sugar and half the chopped coriander, stir and coat the onions and then increase to a medium heat and add the potatoes.
- Continue to stir so that the potatoes are golden in colour.
- Reduce the heat, place the lid onto the pan and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Stir half way through.
- Once cooked, removed the lid, switch off the heat, garnish with the fresh coriander, season with lemon, sugar and salt to taste.
Happy Diwali Everyone