Celebrate Diwali with a sweet dish to finish a Indian feast
Gajar Halwa – Indian Sweet made from Carrots
592g carrots (4 large ones)
227ml Whipping cream
227g castor sugar
50g instant skimmed milk powder
1tbsp slivered almonds
1tbsp slivered pistachios
1tsp ground cardamom (5 cardamom pods)
- Peel and grate the carrots ( if you have a food processor with a grater attachment, it is much quicker).
- Place the carrot, sugar and whipping cream into a mixing bowl (microwavable dish), stir and cover with cling film or a small plate. Place into the microwave.
- Microwave on the highest setting (1000W) for 7 ½ minutes.
- Now, take it out of the microwave take off the cling film and stir. Continue to cook for a further 7 ½ minutes on the highest setting (1000W). There should be no liquid in the bowl (just fat from the whipping cream visible).
- Now, add 50g milk powder and stir in the mixture.
- Change the setting on the microwave to 700W (medium to high setting) and continue to cook for a 5 minutes (uncovered).
- Add the pistachio, almonds and cardamom and stir again.
- Change the setting back to 1000W and cook for a further 2 minutes and then stir.
- Stir again and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Cook for the final time for 1 ½ minutes and stir again. The mixture should be firm.
- Turn out onto a serving plate lined with grease proof paper and flatten with a spatula. (2cm high)
- Using the spatula, divide the mixture into 16 equal parts (three lines vertically and then three lines horizontally). Garnish with slivered almonds and pistachios.
This dish is delicious served warm but can be served cold too and is great to finish off a spicy Indian curry.
A variation on this dish:
- Add 125g raisins
- Garnish with sliver edible leaves