Mustard Golden Spiced Potatoes – Crispy and totally delicious
A Sunday roast dinner is never without a spice or two. My husband Richard (aka the chief taster) likes brown mustard seeds and therefore when I added this spice onto the potatoes, the spice transformed the flavour as well as the texture. Many people have commented on how gorgeous they taste. So here is the recipe to share.
Your roast dinner will never be the same again.
500g potatoes – you can use desire, Maris piper or King Edwards
3 – 4 tbsp. oil rapeseed I use the Bath Harvest
corinsh sea salt to taste
2tsp golden mustard seeds
25g unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 220C
1. Peel, quarter and wash the potatoes.
2. Par boiling – Add the potatoes into a large pan of water and bring to a boil. Continue to cook on a medium setting for 11 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp. oil rapeseed into a ovenproof dish and place into the oven.
4. Once the potatoes are par boiled, drain them, bash them against the side of the saucepan to break up the surface. Then pop them onto a tray lined with paper towels. This will allow them to dry out.
5. Take the oven proof dish out of the oven and add the mustard seeds. They will sizzle and pop. Now add the par boiled roast potatoes, salt and butter. Allow the potatoes to sizzle and carefully turn each allowing them to be coated with the mustard, oil and butter. Add the remained rapeseed oil if the potatoes look dry.
6. Now place the ovenproof dish back into the oven and cook for a further 15 – 20 minutes – (uncovered) until golden brown, crispy around the edges. Turn them half way through the cooking.
7. Remove from the oven and serve with your favourite meal.