Spiced Fish Cakes
Earlier this week I taught the girls at the Royal High school how to make some delicious spiced fish cakes. The verdict was that they were very tasty. I find it fascinating how one student is always reluctant to try anything new. We went into the unknown and she was converted.
With that in mind, here is a recipe to share.
Give it a go. Weused steamed haddock and also tried it with canned tuna. Both were just as good.
With regards to the breadcrumbs – we experimented with Panko breadcrumbs (Japanese variety) and also the fine orange coloured version too.
Spiced Fish Cakes
90g skinned haddock or cod
1 small potato – peeled, boiled and coarsely mashed (see method 2 below)
1-2 sprigs spring onion- finely chopped
1 fresh green chilli – finely chopped
1cm piece ginger – peeled and – finely chopped
3-4 sprigs fresh coriander – chopped
1-2 sprigs of fresh mint –chopped
1egg – (10g – beaten for the filling) remaining for the coating
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
A pinch chilli powder (optional)
A pinch – ¼ tsp Salt
A pinch black pepper for seasoning
Breadcrumbs for coating
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
To serve Lemon wedges, chilli sauce or tomato chutney
- Steaming – Add about 5 cm of boiling water to the saucepan, then fit the steamer over, making sure it doesn’t come into contact with the water. Place the skinned fish in a lightly greased steamer and steam gently until cooked and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 10 minutes on a medium setting. Remove the steamer from the hob and leave aside to cool.
- Making mashed potato – Meanwhile, peel, wash, cut into 3cm pieces and boil the potato for 8-10 minutes until soft, drain the excess water, (tip onto a tray lined with paper towels and allow to dry and cool) and mash using a potato masher. Allow to cool.
- The filling – When the fish is cool, crumble it coarsely into a large bowl using a fork. Mix in the mashed potato.
- Add the chopped spring onion, chilli, ginger, coriander and mint, turmeric powder, ground coriander seeds and chilli powder (optional), 10g egg, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and check for seasoning.
- Divide the mixture into 4-5 equal portions and shape into patties / cakes.
- Dip the cakes into the remaining egg mixture and then into a breadcrumbs. Set aside onto a plate.
- Heat 3tbsp of the oil on a medium setting and fry the cakes until golden brown and all sides are cooked.
Serve with lemon wedges chilli sauce or a tomato relish.