As a child I ate ginger in everything – curry, tea to name a few. My mum always drinks ginger powder and water together as its a great spice that aids digestion.
Here’s some facts about Ginger –
- Ginger is a flowing plant in the Zingiberaceae whose rhizome, ginger root is widely used as a spice or in medicine.
- It is native to south East Asia. It varies considerable in flavour depending on where it is grown.
- Fresh ginger is lemony, woody, earthy and a kick of heat.
- Jamaican ginger is known for its fine quality. Grown in Nigeria and Sera Leone, its characterised for its richness, pungency camphorous element.
- Australian ginger – is the lemoniest.
- It can be used in Sweet and savoury ingredient – fresh, dried, ground, glace, preserved in syrup, juiced for soft and alcoholic drinks. A very versatile ingredient.
- Did you know cardamom is a member of the ginger family – nose and eyes will detect this warming and citrus notes. In India, they are paired up for their digestive properties.
- Ginger powder and cardamom powder are added to hot water, jaggery and then strained to produce a lovely drink.
Here’s this months cake recipe to share. It a a recipe I found in my mother in laws cook book and used lemons instead of lime. I removed 1 tbsp. flour to substitute the ginger powder and added baking powder to life the cake.
Bini Ludlow’s Lime and Ginger Cake with a Lime Glaze
160g SR Flour
175g Castor Sugar
2 Large Free Range Eggs
5g Zest Lime
10g Ground Ginger
1tsp Baking Powder
3tbsp Icing Sugar – sifted
1 lime Juice squeezed and warmed
Extra lime zest for decoration
Pre heat the oven to 180C Conventional setting
Line and grease a loaf tin
- This is an all in one method – place all the ingredients margarine, flour, castor sugar, milk, eggs, lime zest, ground ginger, baking powder into a blender and whisk for 10 minutes on a high setting. (stir half way to ensure the ingredients are combine well)
- Bake for 42 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the syrup gently heat the lime and then add the sifted icing sugar.
- As soon as the cake id out if the oven, insert a skewer all over the cake and pour the syrup over the cake and leave to rest and sit in the tin for 24hrs before turning out.
- Top with zested Lime for decoration and glazed icing as desired.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and or double cream as desired or with a cup of tea.